NOTE: Restrictions are in place to limit access to one or more of the files associated with this item. Authorized users must log in to gain access. Non-authorized users do not have access to these files.
Visit the Energy Systems Laboratory Homepage.
Trigen Dispersed Energy Services for the Mid-Sized Industrial and Commercial Market
MetadataShow full item record
Trigen Energy Corporation's approach to meeting it's customer's energy needs is unique: meet thermal needs and produce electricity as a byproduct. Trigen will guarantee the efficiency and reliability of the energy equipment and systems it operates, and keep its' customers' energy costs competitive in the deregulating energy market. Trigen's approach frees up capital, saves management time, reduces fuel and labor costs and cuts pollution. Trigen's mission is to use fuel efficiently. We accomplish this by meeting our customer's energy needs using one half or less of the fuel and generating one half or less of the pollution compared to conventional generation. Conventional electric generation uses 30% of the fuel burned to generate the electricity, and rejects the remaining 70% back into the environment as waste heat. Additional fuel is then required for heating and cooling buildings and industrial processes. Trigen provides heat for buildings and industry from the waste heat of engines and turbines, and creates electricity as a byproduct. Trigen guarantees the energy conversion efficiency (heat rate) of the system. A factory built and tested, standardized cogeneration system is an example of the kind of tool which Trigen may operate on a customer's site to achieve our mission of 80% plus thermal and electric generation efficiency. On a number of industrial sites in North America Trigen is meeting our customers energy needs with standardized 3 MW electric, 30,000 lb/hr steam transportable cogeneration systems. These systems are competitive with a total installed cost of under $1,000/MW and a delivery and installation time of under 4 months. A typical site built cogeneration system installation takes from one to two years. The units are transportable and can be relocated as a customer's energy needs change, making long term contracts an option.
McIntire, M. E. (1997). Trigen Dispersed Energy Services for the Mid-Sized Industrial and Commercial Market. Energy Systems Laboratory (http://esl.tamu.edu). Available electronically from