Veterinary Hospital, number 4
Although it was one of many buildings used for the treatment of animals for the Veterinary School, it is reported that this was the first substantial Veterinary Hospital on campus and was located on the corner of Spence and Roberts Streets. Built in 1908 it contained a central 36X36 foot clinic room, eight box stalls, four tie stalls, office, feed room, janitors room and hay loft. By 1909 , the east wing of this building was used for an anti-hog cholera serum laboratory. In 1917 another building was constructed to move the hog cholera research, which allowed for the students to continue to use the entire space for clinical practice as it was intended. The building soon became inadequate and the hospital had to be enlarged twice with the addition of clinic rooms. In 1933, this building was vacated and all clinic work moved into the Veterinary Hospital in 1933.
DescriptionThis seemingly wood framed building appears to have a square center structure with two perpendicular barn like wings that have animal stables. Physical description: black-and -white print (photograph), 16 X 24mm (cardboard mount), 8 X13.5mm (cardboard mount)
Student Run Clinic
CVM Media ResourcesVeterinary Hospital, number 4. Available electronically from