Portrait of Abner Francis- Reverse Side
This Cival War Era photography is an "Ebay" purchase made by librarian Trenton Boyd and donated to the Medical Sciences Library. It is noted that historically, the predominate Welsh community originally known as New London was renamed Shandon, and also referred by locals as "Paddy's Run" Ohio located about 11 miles from the county seat of Hamilton, Ohio. It is likely that Abner Francis traveled to Hamilton to have his portrait taken by Eugene Brandt who was a portrait and Landscape photographer. Eugene Brandt owned the Mammoth Art Gallery, located over Peter Jacob's drug store opposite the county court house in Hamilton, Ohio from about 1868 until 1877. Mark Francis's father, Abner Francis was the grandson of Welsh emigrants David Francis and his wife Mary who settled in Paddy's Run in 1802.
DescriptionThis is an original civil war era carte de visite (CDV) photo of Abner Francis of Shandon, Ohio, father of Mark Francis College Station, Texas. Mark Francis was the first veterinary professor at Texas A&M College. Then known as Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas. Physical description: black-and -white print (photograph), CDV (Carte de visite style)_ 10.5X6mm
Brandt, Hamilton O.Portrait of Abner Francis- Reverse Side. Available electronically from