Swine at the Veterinary School
MetadataShow full item record
It is thought that the building behind the student may have been what is referred to as the "planked roof" barn, and that the building shown in the right of the picture image could be first small clinic build for Dr. Francis that pre-dated the establishment of the School. "··As a matter of fact, the clinic became a necessary part of veterinary medicine from the beginning of the inception of veterinary service at the A&M College, and for this purpose a small hospital was built for Dr. Mark Francis about December 1888 only a few months after his appointment as veterinarian of the college. No record of the fate of this building has been found. It had already been demolished and the work trans£erred to the new quarters in the chemistry and veterinary science building sometime prior to 1906. But another veterinary hospital was built in 1908, this time on a more pretentious scale."
DescriptionThree or four pigs behind a building with Veterinary Student on left and a black man watches from the back corner. Writing on the photo or group of photos: '' Physical description: Black and white print (photograph) 15x21mm mounted frame board.
College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical SciencesSwine at the Veterinary School. Available electronically from