NOTE: Restrictions are in place to limit access to one or more of the files associated with this item. Authorized users must log in to gain access. Non-authorized users do not have access to these files.
Visit the Energy Systems Laboratory Homepage.
Low Capital Energy Conservation Retrofits at Temple-Eastex Incorporated
MetadataShow full item record
Temple-Eastex, at Evadale, Texas, operates a 1600 ton per day bleached kraft pulp and paperboard mill which was installed in 1954 and expanded in 1958, 1962, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1972, and 1975. All of the currently operating mill was designed, purchased, and installed during the era of cheap and plentiful gas and therefore, very little consideration was given to energy efficiency as compared to production capacity, manpower conservation, product quality, environmental protection and employee safety. The rapidly increasing energy cost of the late 70's and early 80's put us in the proverbial state of being too busy drowning to stop and take off our shoes. Our utility (gas and electric) bills went from almost insignificant in 1974 to our third highest cost behind only raw material (wood) and labor and peaked at $3,700,000/month in January 1983. The utility cost came directly out of the profit column and thereby dried up the capital availability which was sorely needed to replace the energy hungry equipment. Just to make bad matters worse, paper mill equipment usually requires about two (2) years from initial outlay of capital to initial profit from production and Time Incorporated who then owned us, could double their money in that length of time in the Cable TV-Communication Branch of their operation. Our best alternative to keep our head above water was to utilize low capital or ideally expensed retrofits which could be installed rapidly and show an energy saving in the same monthly statement that alteration and repair expense showed.
Hedleston, J. L. (1985). Low Capital Energy Conservation Retrofits at Temple-Eastex Incorporated. Energy Systems Laboratory (http://esl.tamu.edu). Available electronically from