|dc.description.abstract||The purpose of this report is to examine oral health care for children in Texas. United Ways of Texas is concerned with the disproportionate levels of access that low-income children face. This research team was charged by United Ways to:
Develop appropriate measures of access to preventive dental care for children
Analyze the geographic and socioeconomic patterns of such access measures in Texas
Calculate the expected benefits and costs of expanding access
There are significant disparities in access to oral health care for children in Texas. These disparities are frequently based on income levels, ethnic status, and if a child lives in an urban or rural area. Because disparity continues to exist among Texans, this report offers the following recommendations to improve access to dental care.
To support these recommendations, this report will:
1. Describe the importance of children's oral health.
2. Show disparities that exist among children.
3. Describe the types of preventive care that can improve children's oral health.
4. Demonstrate that preventive care can be cost-effective.
5. Identify barriers to access in Texas through literature and research||en_US